Command Center Technician Job
Date: May 12, 2013
Location: Charlotte, NC, US
Merck is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and consumer health products, as well as animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company – one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of people like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you’ll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
Under the direction of the Associate Director, Global Command Center this individual is responsible for providing effective on-site support, communication and coordination for Merck's Global Command Center environment (incident management service desk). This position coordinates workflow in the Command Center during a particular shift, provides oversight to command center technicians, ensures all incidents are handled following defined incident processes, and ensures services meet defined Service Level Agreements & Key Performance Indicators and takes responsibility for critical incidents which result in significant disruption to Merck business operations.
- Shared responsibility for operations and service desk support for Merck's global IT infrastructure and Command Center environments. Provides level 1 and level 2 support as required.
- Monitors all services and ensures any incidents are responded to and resolved to ensure service/system stability.
- Escalates issues to appropriate resolver group using Merck's standard incident management processes and tools.
- Uses the incident management system to log and follow-up on all service disruptions.
- Partners with IT and Shared Business Services colleagues to communicate service disruptions to the business.
- Works the days and hours which are scheduled in order for the team to provide 7x24 support. This may require working multiple shifts and/or weekends/holidays. Provides flexibility and coverage on alternate days when scheduled or needed.
- Provides technical guidance to Command Center personnel as well as training for new personnel.
- Coordinates and leads special projects to design, deploy and/or migrate technologies into the Data Center and Command Center environment. Partners with IS colleagues to ensure the correct standard platforms and procedures are implemented.
- Coordinates high priority incidents with staff to ensure correct and prompt resolution.
- Coordinates status reports for incidents and special projects to Command Center management and senior management as needed.
- Coordinates daily status reports and report status to the global organization.
- Contributes to improvement opportunities for their shift and the overall operation of the organization.
Education: Bachelors Degree Preferred
- Minimum 5 years of technical support in a data center/command center/network operations center.
- Must possess a general knowledge of all data center technologies with a specialization in at least three technologies
- Must possess strong interpersonal skills, with demonstrated ability to work as part of both physical and virtual teams
- Must possess strong analytical, decision making, troubleshooting, problem solving, time management and project management skills.
- Must demonstrate key leadership principles including: focus on the customer, collaboration, courage and candor, rapid disciplined decision making, driving for results and ethics and integrity.
- Ability to simultaneously identify and prioritize multiple changing priorities
- Previous supervisory experience is highly desired
- Knowledge of the ITIL framework, certification preferred
- Technical certification in one or two data center technologies is desirable.
Our employees are the key to our company’s success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Merck’s benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes ted by search firms to any employee at Merck via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, M/F/D/V – proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Former Military, Transitioning Service Members, National Guard & Reserves - We value your past and present service.
Job: Business/Technical Analysis
Job Title: Specialist
Primary Location: NA-US-NC-Charlotte
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Number of Openings: 1
Shift (if applicable): Other (see Work Schedule)
Nearest Major Market: Charlotte
Job Segments: Technician, Service Desk, Data Center, Project Manager, Technical Support, Technology, Customer Service